AAC

List members,

I was speaking to an architect about AAC (aerated autoclaved concrete)
for wall applications in residential structures.  I also read an
interesting article in Structure magazine on this.

My question is- Can out-of-plane wind loads of 130 mph 3s gust possibly
be met with the solid (unreinforced) blocks?

Any information on this would be helpful.  Apparently it is becoming
quite common in this area, primarily for its use as a backing for
stucco.  From what I understand, AAC is being used as an unreinforced
infill system between a steel frame, or as a bearing wall system with
threaded rods at 4' on center (for uplift).  I think the first model
seems expensive, and I am not confident that either option meets the out
of plane wind load requirements.  I looked up the legacy report and saw
there is an equation for flexural strength of "plain" unreinforced AAC
walls, but have not evaluated it further.

Regards,
Andy Richardson, PE
Bluffton, SC