Re: ASCE 7 Snow Drifts

Brian S Bossley wrote:

Does anyone know where in ASCE 7 it addresses intersecting snow drifts?

I don't believe ASCE 7 deals with intersecting snow drifts. It treats snow drift as essentially a one dimensional problem. I have to go back and use Appendix Chapter 16 in the 1997 UBC to calculate intersecting drifts. I have found ASCE 7 to be a step backwards when it comes to snow. The design procedure seems to be more cumbersome, more limited, and generates significantly greater unbalanced snow loads compared to the UBC. Hopefully, in the next release of ASCE 7, they can come up with something more along the lines of the UBC.