From: Drew Morris [mailto:dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 1:52 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: ASCE 7 Snow Drifts

Brian S Bossley wrote:

>Does anyone know where in ASCE 7 it addresses intersecting snow drifts?

I don't believe ASCE 7 deals with intersecting snow drifts. It treats
snow drift as essentially a one dimensional problem.
 I have to go back and use Appendix  Chapter 16 in the 1997 UBC to
calculate intersecting drifts.  I have found ASCE 7  to be a step
backwards when it comes to snow.  The design procedure seems to be more
cumbersome, more limited,  and generates significantly greater
unbalanced snow loads compared to the UBC.
Hopefully, in the next release of ASCE 7, they can come up with
something more along the lines of the UBC.