Exterior confinement reinforcing for CMU columns

In a project our firm is involved with, the existing non-load bearing CMU walls were removed leaving the CMU columns (16" square). The contractor has discovered that the existing CMU columns were not constructed with the confinement ties that are shown in the drawings. One of the pricipal engiineers remembers seeing a paper on the use of steel bands similar to crate banding to provide the confinement by being wrapped on the exterior of the column. The paper may have dealt with concrete columns, but it would seem that this would be applicable to CMU columns. If this doesn't ring a bell, are there any other suggestions for adding confinement ties?