RE: Residential Foundation and CABO

I too operate in the non-inspection or poor inspection, even worse, land. So many res. masonary (spelled like the locals say) contractors know that the an 8" block wall will crack so they go to a "heavy" 10". This wall deffinantly needs to be reinforced by any code guideline. My only recourse for an area without code is to ask the contractor to provide any construction guide or book that shows his wall is ok, he will not be able to of course. IRC 2003 limits the 10", 9' wall to 5' fill for medimum weight soils.

Jeff Fertich, PE
Gettysburg, PA

From: Jim Wilson <wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Residential Foundation and CABO
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:01:51 -0800 (PST)

Dear Seaint,

I don't have access to a CABO code, so I am hoping
someone can lend a hand.  Does CABO specify
residential foundation wall reinforcement
requirements?  I believe the applicable year would be
2000.  The case in point is a 10" block wall 9' high
from footing to sill, supporting about 8' of backfill
(shale/rock/sand).  Installed pilasters are useless
and must be discounted.

Also, the top course of masonry is semi-solid cap
blocks with 1/2" anchor bolts set into the vertical
mortar joints between blocks at 6' o.c.  Seems like a
real bad detail, but once again I am stuck here in
no-inspection land (until last year) and I need a way
to hold a contractor responsible for his work now that
the house is 75% complete.

And while I am on the subject, what mason would set an
underground basement wall and fill the vertical joints
(up to 1 1/2" wide in some cases) AFTER the wall is
erected, and then proceed to only parge the exterior -
no dampproofing, no membrane.  That can't be code
compliant either, can it?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA