RE: Residential Foundation and CABO, when is code code

Jim,

It all depends on the township as to when the PA uniform building code went into effect. If they got started before the township opted in then there is no real code unless the township claimed code requirements before the state made them enforce it.

Apparently some of you engineers , my brothers, need to get over your perscriptive commerial engineering. The only reinforcement needed to resist soil is vertical, if any by code, the same as if the bars where wood studs. It should aslo be noted that the code requires the bar be a certain distance from the soil side and not in the middle.

From: Jim Wilson <wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Residential Foundation and CABO
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:43:53 -0800 (PST)

The contractor's own "plans" say that 6' ft fill is
maximum for the wall type.  His standard notes
probably haven't changed in 25 years.  And what about
horizontal joint reinforcement?  I can't find any
mention of this in the IRC - all 4 pages of
mason-a-ry/concrete foundation requirements.

And I believe L&I has referenced CABO as the code,
they just didn't have any enforcement of it until the
IRC came into effect.  Is that correct?

Thanks,
Jim