IBC Seismic

As a former UBC’r, I’m being baptized into the structology of QsubE, Sds, and an Esubm that has no “subm” in ASCE 7, because confusion is apparently sacred.

For a “structural steel system not specifically detailed for seismic resistance (R = 3), I am enlightened that vertical seismic effects can be roughly ½ of horizontal effects (ref Eq 9.5.2.7-1).

Does that sound right?

How did the UBC ASD method survive without this?  How could they be so naïve and ASCE 7 be so righteous?

Ed Tornberg

Tornberg Consulting, LLC

503-551-4165