From: jwknospam
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 12:18 PM
Subject: RE: OFF TOPIC - SE / PE initials

In some jurisdictions there are two different licenses – Structural Engineer and Professional Engineer (everything but structural).

In Missouri there is no difference.  I passed the Structural Engineering I (SE I) exam and they called me a PE.  Anyone who passes the Civil Engineering PE exam is also called a PE.

In Illinois, you take the civil exam to be a PE and the two structural exams to be a SE (the SE I and SE II).  I’m licensed as a SE in Illinois, but cannot be licensed as a PE without also taking and passing the Civil Engineering exam.

So, technically, I’m a PE in Missouri and a SE in Illinois, so my title is Jason W. Kilgore, PE, SE.