Mount Zion Hospital bldg Grant St, San Fran, Ca

List,

I have some pictures of this building in San Fran. which has had an apparent seismic upgrade (to what is presumable an URM building) The retrofit involves a tube steel grid applied to the face of the building. The grid is fastened to the the masonry with bolts at 6' to 8' centers. The bolts are angled downward into the wall with a hill side washer at each bolt where it passes thru the tube steel. My question is why are the bolts sloped?

TIA,
Rand