Load Paths

I was in my reading room and re-reading the October, 2004 issue of Structure Magazine when I ran across a Simpson ad for the StrongWall (p.6). See: http://www.allendesigns.com/images/strongwall.jpg. Provoked by the title “Imagine the Possibilities”, I had two thoughts which are totally unrelated to any Simpson product:

Based on the image referenced above:

  1. How does the in-plane shear load get to the shear walls?
  2. How is out of plane bracing provided for the shear wall on the second floor?

I am interested in any (and all) comments.

Thanks,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588