Re: Open Web Steel Joist Programs?

Gary,
This depends on where you live and which supplier is most prevalent. For example, in our area Trus-Joist might be the most commonly used open web steel joists (with a wood flange and open steel web). In this case you can go the Trus-Joist web site and obtain TJ-Beam. When you install the software you want to make sure that you specify that you do commercial work so that it will include the Commercial Joist database that includes their open-web series. The program will design the joists that you need, but before the joists are delivered Trus-Joist will recalculate the same joists as a double check your analysis AND because most cities require the final truss calculations to be provided by the manufacturer. Almost all open-web joist manufacturers provide free software to design their products. I would not use my own software simply because I have no idea as to how much tension or compression (axial) loading that is actually designed into these joists to prove they would work.

Dennis S. Wish PE

Gary Hodgson & Associates wrote:

Can anybody recommend a computer program that designs open web steel joists? I currently use an ancient one that I wrote in BASIC but it is a bit limited and the powers that be (dirty b***ds) have seen fit to change the steel code to require calculation of deflection by axial deformation of all members rather than by parallel axis I method.

Thanks,
Gary