Re: AUTOCAD: NEED HELP RECOVERING DRAWING!

Bill,
There is a backward compatibility problem from 2005 as Autodesk changed the proprietary DWG format that is not readable in 2004 once it is converted. You need to find someone with at least 2004 and if you use paper space, you will lose information. The best you can hope for is to lose some of the corrupted information and redraw it or convert it to DXF and then import it into the latest version you are using. Also, try stripping out all information in an earlier version of Autocad and then compact and resave to see if you can convert it to a release 12 version.

Here is some help for future issues that may pop up. I have purchased Go Back by Symantec. There is a lite version included in some programs but this does not have the power of the full version. If you have the disk space, Go Back will save multiple copies of the same file depending on how often you set it to set a recover point. This may leave you with multiple drawings - each at various stages of development. If you want to recover after an error, you can recoverer any number of saved versions. This is useful in case you have spend a lot of time revising drawings for a client who wanted to make changes and then decided he wanted the version that you produced two weeks ago. You can recover this version provided you allow enough disk space to save mirror images of files that can be used to recover. If you do this, you can remove or disable the recover features of XP and rely only on Go Back. I've known about it for years but stopped using it when XP provided a form of this software that makes up the XP Recover software installed in XP. This is far more useful as it tracks changes to files and not just system files.

This has helped me out on Autocad corrupted files and other text files (or documents) that I lost or got corrupted when I needed them the most.

In the future, spend the $50.00 for this very useful utility and you won't need to redo anywhere near the recovery work that you are faced with now.

Dennis

Bill Polhemus wrote:

I have inexplicably got an Autocad drawing file (or maybe "files") that have become so corrupted that the program crashes while trying to use the RECOVER utility.

The drawings were created in Autocad LT 2002. One of the suggestions given as a result of a GOOGLE search is to open it in a later version of the program.

If anyone out there has, say, Autocad 2005 handy, please send me email PRIVATELY, and allow me to send you the files. Then you can see if YOU can open and/or recover them

Thanks, this would mean a day's worth of work lost.

Regards.