RE: Load Paths

Dennis -

I'm not sure I ever said the king post wouldn't work, I just wouldn't do it
if I couldn't analytically justify it. In either case (the king post in your
previous problem or the shear wall in the jpg I'm referencing where the top
of the shear wall is laterally supported by a top plate spanning between
cross walls) you've got a column pinned at the bottom and laterally
supported by a spring at the top. I'm sure someone somewhere (maybe even
since Timoshenko) has developed the critical buckling load for a column with
these boundary conditions, but I don't have it in my library. If I did, then
I would possibly have a different conclusion.

More than likely, relative to the jpg I'm referencing, I would have a
tendency to use full height gable studs, run the shear wall up to the
sloping top plate, consider the height of the shear wall segments the
average between the high and low point (of each segment) and provide
strapping around the opening creating a wall frame. To me, that would be
easier and more straightforward than developing the critical buckling load
considering a spring top support, determining the spring stiffness and
distributing (via details) the force in the spring throughout the structure.

With regards to using judgment, sure, that's my first tool in my toolbox.
But I'm not going to use a scoring system based on how often someone (or
some entity) has been right or wrong (I might not ever use myself!). I'm
really impressed that you've never been wrong. Who knows, maybe on my next
project, I'll defend my design by saying "Dennis Wish said it was O.K." :o)

Regarding the conventional construction argument, I never have that debate.
Maybe it's just the clientele I have; I don't know. I just know that I'm on
the side of the debate that a prescriptive method should be more restrictive
than an analytical method.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers
http://www.AllenDesigns.com
V (949) 248-8588	 .	 F (949) 209-2509