From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 6:32 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: STEEL: Welding of Steel Bar Grating

I want some other opinions--I've already formed my own.

I've got a contractor who in erecting an open-web steel joist-supported
floor welded the steel bar grating to the tops of the joists (i.e. the
top chord) with little fillets (essentially fat tack welds). He claimed
that he "likes that better" than any other method including saddle clips.

Seeing as how the grating isn't directly a structural item, I forebore
comment (though I think it's a sloppy method of attachment myself). But
I pointed out that he had not provided additional bridging for lateral
stability as I had expected to see, and as I had implied ought to be
provided by notes on my drawings (that is, I indicated on the drawings
that the steel joist fabricator should provide means for lateral
stability as they deemed necessary since the bar grating would not be
considered as providing lateral support).

The contractor replied "well, that's why I welded the grating! You can't
tell me that's not sufficient support!"

Of course I can, and I did. I tried to be diplomatic about it, saying
that I did not think the fabricator would agree with him. His response
was that he'd "get a letter from the joist fabricator stating that it
was all right."

Still haven't seen such a letter going on the second week. Has anyone
run into anything like this before? Implicit in the presence of the
welded grating is the notion that certainly some lateral stiffness has
been provided, but I don't believe that I've ever seen any provisions or
any research to suggest that this is sufficient.

Chime in if you would.