Re: AUTOCAD: NEED HELP RECOVERING DRAWING!

Dennis S. Wish, PE wrote:

Bill,
Here is some help for future issues that may pop up. I have purchased Go Back by Symantec.

Thanks for the info, Dennis.

There is actually a "solution" even better than GoBack (which I have used before) for my situation. Since I store all my data files on my server, I use a GPL'ed utility called "rdiff-backup" that just does a SUPERB job of keeping daily snapshots (or whatever interval you specify) of everything on my server. The way it works is, it only records the "diffs" or the "differences" between the older and newer file so that I have been able to accumulate about three months' worth of DAILY backups (i.e. I can restore ANY file or directory as it existed at end of business on ANY day since the backup began).

And because it is "diff" based it increments very slowly--I have noticed it increases just a few megabytes each day. My calculations show that a 100GB Hard Disk should comfortably hold an entire year's worth of daily backups. The system is designed to work seamlessly over a TCP/IP network, even remotely using an "RSYNC pipe."

One "neat" feature of the system is that it uses a "mirror+reverse delta" format instead of the more common "full+forward delta" format. What this means is that the backup that exists on the backup media is a "mirror" of the state of the filesystem at the time the very latest backup occurred. There is also a database of time-regressive diffences stored there. Thus, if I want something from yesterday (since just before the last backup), I can just copy it directly from the "mirrored" directory. If I want something before that, it takes the "mirrored" file and "subtracts" the delta/diff data from it.

"Full+forward delta" means that your "full" backup is the state of things when you begin, and then you ADD any changes from that time forward.

"Mirror+reverse delta" is actually more efficient because there is a greater chance you will want a "more recent" version of a file than a version that existed farther back in the past. There's essentially less work involved in getting to the exact state of the data that you want.

My backup hardware is a single 100GB USB HD sitting next to the server. In the event I have to "evacuate," I simply reach over and snatch the box and go. (This will be well worth my effort to do so as it essentially has ALL my business and personal data on it!)

rdiff-backup will run on Windows (under CygWin) as well:

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

http://www.cygwin.com/