Re: Unreinforced foundation walls

When you say "look at the charts", I'm assuming that you have some data on the soil type, and are reading the charts for silt or clay backfill? I've yet to see a contractor read beyond the GW/GP column in those charts, then backfill with whatever is onsite. Further, most code officials I know don't know enough soils mechanics to understand that CL and GW are not interchangeable for load purposes.

And, for the record, I've seen a cracked basement wall that was 8' high with 6' of backfill, made of 8" unreif. cmu. By the code, 8" is the correct thickness, up to low placticity silt backfill (ML). Without proper equipment, there is no way for lay-person in the field to determine the difference between ML and ML-CL, which would have required a 10" cmu.

Jordan