Re: ACI 117

Gail,

I have had to resolve field disputes over concrete construction tolerances a few times over my career and in nearly every case after pulling out ACI 117 it was resolved.  Many contractors and sad to say some inspectors do not even know this document exists.  Typical situations, at least for me, were tolerances for fabricated rebar (ovaled column ties comes to mind), drilled pier locations, final height of foundations (which can effect column grout thickness), center to center spacing of slab rebar, and clear cover to forms.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com

02/04/2005 07:59 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
ACI 117

A question recently posted pertaining to ACI 117 got me curious.

Of all those who have specified this document on one of their projects,  how many have actually read it?

How many have had to refer to it during a dispute/discussion of construction quality?

If there was a dispute / discussion of construction quality,  what section or sections of 117 were pertinent?

Gail Kelley