Load Factor Question

I am working on a project that has a liquefaction potential. There is a lens of good soil then a lens of liquefiable soil then a lens of good soil. Based on the strata, the geotechnical engineer has said that a mat foundation is acceptable. For the design of the mat, he has given me a reduced modulus of subgrade reaction (k) to represent what the soil might act like during the event. For the purposes of this question, there is no alternative to the foundation type because that issue has been beat to death and it would be a waste of cyberspace to discuss alternatives. The question here is just related to load factors.

The structure is a one story wood framed building. The only loads on the building are D, Lr, W and E.

Here is what I intend to do.

  1. I use the unreduced k value for the D+Lr and the D+Lr+W cases.
  2. I use the reduced k value for D+Lr+E load cases.
  3. After the event, the results from question 1 are still valid.

Does anyone disagree with the above approach?

Thanks,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588