Re: ACI 117

OK, I will ask a potentially "dumb" question...

If the contract specifications don't reference or specifically specify
some acceptable tolerances (ACI 117 or otherwise), doesn't that mean that
there are NO tolerances permitted?  After all if the code does not specify
permitted tolerances and the contract documents don't specify tolerances,
then does that not imply that the contractor must supply what is exactly
shown on the drawings and in the specifications (assuming that we ignore
the impractibility of that)?  For example, if rebar is called out to be at
5 in on center then must the contractor not supply rebar exactly at 5 in
on center, not 5 in on center plus or minus a little?  And yes, such an
expectation would be completely unrealistic, but then the contractor
should be smart enough to know that before signing the contract, eh?

Just curious...

And, I would have to say that whether or not ACI 117 is referenced
(directly or indirectly) it can be difficult to make a contractor correct
something if s/he does not want to.  If ACI 117 is referenced, it does at
least make everyone "speak the same language" in that everyone knows in
advance what is considered acceptable (unless my curiousity above is on
point, in which case everyone should "know in advance" that everything
must be perfect).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI