[no subject]

Gail is spot-on about several things about ACI 117. In my experience, it is widely unfamiliar to designers; however, my contractor brethren are familiar with it by necessity because we invariably have used it many times to resolve a dispute over satisfaction of contract criteria. It seems that many engineers forget that the instruments of service that they provide (drawings and specifications) become a part of a contract that establishes what a contractor then must do; ACI 117 is incorporated by reference by ACI 301, and almost all the projects we bid, design, build, or rescue list ACI 301, and tell us that "all work is to comply" etc etc. I agree with Gail that many engineers have little knowledge as to the content of 117, or if they have at least read it, they do not clearly understand how it is applied. Study the commentary and odds are that some illumination will result, although Gail is again spot on regarding the aspect that it can be very confusing to read. And just wait until the revised specification is issued!!!!

Richard W. Stone, P.E.

Project Executive

Technical Services/Project Management/Estimating

Concept Design/Engineering/Quality Assurance

Madison Concrete Construction Company

130 Quaker lane

Malvern, PA 19355-2479

email: rstone(--nospam--at)madisonconcrete.com

Voice:       610.695.8800

Facsimile: 610.695.8678

Nextel:      610.496.5764

Visit our webpage at  www.madisonconcrete.com  !!!!