Re: ACI 117

In a message dated 2/8/2005 8:28:26 AM Eastern Standard Time, bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc writes:
One recent project, I asked to see the concrete test reports (as ACI 301
stipulates) and was told by the contractor's rep "well, we don't ever do
that stuff." When I reminded him that it's required by the building
code, he just shrugged and said "well, you didn't call it out on your
drawings."
It is not clear what you are saying here.  Are you talking about the concrete mixture reports,  where the ready-mix plant shows the concrete mixture will produce concrete of the specified strength?  I have never had trouble getting a concrete mixture report.  Some of the smaller ready-mix plants have trouble figuring out the "if-then" flow chart to prove the mixture will have the required strength, but all of them are able to print-out the mixture design.

If you are referring to cylinder testing during construction,  if YOU had bothered to read ACI 301,  you will note that unless otherwise specified in the Contract Documents,  the OWNER arranges and pays for this.  All the contractor has to do is provide  the owner's testing agency with access.  And you're the owner's agent, no?

I have found that engineers can usually get away with this kind of incompetence because yes,  contractors seldom own the ACI documents they have agreed to abide by.   But  a lot of contractors are realizing that if they get (and read)  the documents,  they will be well ahead of mr.-(or ms.)-look-at-my-finite-element-contour-plot-design.

It's true - most engineers don't write specifications - they either use a service like Masterspec (which I must say has an excellent specification for unbonded post-tensioning)  or they use some ex-architect that has set up a spec writing service.

The real problem is that engineers also don't read the specifications.  Which is one reason insurance companies don't want them on a job site.  Every time they open their mouth,  money fall out.

Gail Kelley