RE: (Fwd) Re: FW: Open Web Steel Joist Programs?

On 4 Feb 2005 at 9:09, Stuart, Matthew wrote:

> Gary,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> What is your opinion of situation in which an engineer is asked to
> analyze an existing joist for new loads and no drawings or
> manufacturer information are available. The engineer goes out and
> measures the existing member, analyzes the joist as a simple truss,
> externally reinforces web and chord members with field welded plates,
> bars, angles, etc. and does not try and confirm the load path
> mechanism and consequently the disposition of the welds at the
> existing panel points. I'm thinking primarily of top chord panel
> points with bar web members in which the panel point weld is more than
> likely both concealed and inaccessible unless the roof is removed.
>

> Matthew Stuart
> Structural Dept. - Manalapan
> 732-577-9889 x1283

Matthew,

I usually find that there is no manufacturer information available.
This occurs even on jobs where you can identify the joist
manufacturer.  On one job where the customer wanted to add a monorail
to the joists, I found an aluminum tag on the joists identifying the
manufacturer and its serial number.  When I called them, they refused
to give me any info on the basis that they did not want any liability
and did not want to spend any time looking up the information.  In
their defense, on another of my jobs, within one year of completion,
where the customer wanted to hang some monorails, they designed the
joist reinforcing for me, at no cost.

look at the bottom chord welds (top chord welds being inaccessible),
figuring that the welds will usually be the same (I worked in the
fabrication industry for 14 years and my brother and nephew are still
in the business).

Generally, the shop does not like changes?they want all welds the
same length and position and welders know more about welds than any
damn engineer so they put in more weld than specified.

I have only heard of 2 joist failures in my career.  1.  The joists
had been up for 20 years and failed after a particularly heavy snow
fall and it turns out that the joists were only tack welded and 2.
Joists that were built in WWII when the code allowed higher allowable
stresses, failed 50 years later, again after a heavy snow fall with
drifting.  One weld was faulty and that joist failed, leading to a
zipper effect.

On another job, the joists (bottom bearing) were installed upside

down and had to be reinforced as is in the field before the job was
completed.

Gary Hodgson