Re: ACI 117

In a message dated 2/8/2005 10:29:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc writes:
And the city approves the drawings because it has an engineer's seal on
it, and the Contractor then does pretty much whatever he wants to do
after that. Yes, there is "inspection" after a fashion, but it is inept
on the part of the city. By which I mean they will walk through and nod
"okay," because the Owner is a big business there, and good will is wanted.
This really doesn't seem to be too different from plan stamping.  The drawings do not have "an engineer's seal" on them.  They have YOUR engineer's seal on them.  Then you are being paid to do ??? at the job site.

As long as you get your fee,  it's all good ?  Is that why you were hired?

For what it's worth, I have specified that the contractor pay for concrete testing on some jobs, particularly on repair jobs.  The testing agency does not "owe diligence"  to anyone,  although I am not sure what "owe diligence"  means.

On repair jobs,  there are often problems with scheduling pours.  If the contractor isn't paying for the testing they tend to request the testing agency be on site,  but forget to cancel if the pour is cancelled.  If the contractor is paying,  they tend to be a little more careful. Having the contractor fully responsible for the testing also avoids the finger-pointing as to who was responsible for notifying the testing agency, if for some reason they don't show up.

The contractor figures out a fee for the testing and includes it in their bid.

Gail Kelley