RE: In order to pass SE 1?

> I don’t believe there is any way to tell. As I recall the raw
> score is scaled up or down to allow a fixed percentage (70%)
> of examiners to pass. The raw passing scores vary each year
> and these numbers were posted on the NCEES website for past
> years when I took the exam in 2003. Actually, I think it was
> the PPI2PASS website.

This is how the pass rate numbers was explained to me, but it’s been a while
and some of the details are probably either remembered wrong or have
changed.

They get a bunch of engineers (herd of engineers? Flock? Gaggle?) who
recently passed the exam.  These engineers are sworn to secrecy and allowed
to take the exam a short time after the main testing date.  Afterward they
discuss the questions and answers over martinis and mimosas.

Using these scores as a baseline, with weights based on the discussion, they
assign a percentage pass rate that a “minimally competent” engineer should
reach.  This might be anywhere from 30 to 60 out of 80.  It varies each test
cycle and is dependent on the relative difficulty of that particular group
of questions.  They never publish the exact number of questions to pass any
particular test.

Some states tell you what "percentage" you made on the exam.  The 70%
"passing score" is how they publish your score without publishing the actual
number of questions required to pass.  Assume that NCEES decides that a
minimally competent engineer needs 40 out of 80 right, or 50%, for the
upcoming April exam.  They then scale the results so that someone who gets
50% right is assigned a passing score of 70%.

This was a rather long reply, but the ultimate conclusion is that you need
to answer ALL the questions on the exam.

Jason