Re: ACI 117

Mark,

Your point about the IBC and special inspections is a good one.  It is worthwhile for engineers to try and figure out the special inspection section ... DC still uses BOCA.

Also if there is inspection as well as testing,  yes, it probably is not a good idea for the contractor to be paying.  I was thinking about repair projects where there was just testing.  Also situtations where the local testing agency is not qualified to do the inspection,  so  someone is brought in to do the inspection,  and the local agency does the testing.

I've not really had any problems with the contractor trying to obtain less vigilant inspectors, though.  I have had a lot of problems with really bad inspectors,  where bad does not mean overly vigilant.  Although it is sometimes because they are doing what they were told to do by an engineer on another job.

Gail Kelley