RE:Subject: foundation on rock

Why do you need a matt foundation?  Given the stiff soil there would be
essentially no bending in the slab.

I saw drawings for a moderately hight building in NYC that was founded on
granite.  The steel columns set on a small concrete footing (18 to 24" sq.)
which set directly on the granite.  The granite was stronger than the
concrete and the concrete was only needed as a transition piece between the
column and the granite.

Given that there have been problems when rock has been exposed to the
elements I would discuss this with your geotechnical engineer.

Mark Gilligan