From: Lutz, James [mailto:James.Lutz(--nospam--at)earthtech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 4:36 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: foundation on rock

Is it level?

-----Original Message-----
From: Casano, Karen [mailto:Karen.Casano(--nospam--at)dgs.ca.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 2:14 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: foundation on rock

Fellow Engineers (especially those with a geotechnical bent):

What potential performance problems might you anticipate with placing a 12"
thick mat foundation (for a small structure) ON TOP OF an existing natural
grade?  Existing natural grade is mostly rock (very dense granite which
would require blasting to remove or trench into), some sedimentary rock and
compacted DG, no frost issues (southern CA). Compacted fill would be placed
around the finished perimeter of the mat to provide drainage.  Lateral loads
resisted by friction.

Karen E. Casano, SE
San Diego

This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named addressee(s) and
delete the transmitted material from your computer and server.  In no event
shall this material be read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than
the named addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
the named addressee(s).