RE: Engineers and Specifications

I only write specs when I can't fit on my general notes sheet all the information I feel is necessary. In the size projects I do on a regular basis, there is very little attention paid to spec books, and they're never onsite, so I try to condense what I can onto the plan sheets, and go with performance based notes (specs).

As for real specs, they're not too difficult to write, but they can be a bear to coordinate with the on-drawing information. This would be okay if I had 6% or 8% of the construction budget to work with, as I'd have time to check and back-check every section in every condition. With under 1%-1.5% fee, it's not really a cost-competitive prospect.

Jordan