From: JLand(--nospam--at)affiliatedmetal.com [mailto:JLand(--nospam--at)AffiliatedMetal.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 10:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Engineers and specifications

As a steel fabricator, we are often confounded by generic or unspecific specifications. One constant is paint (finishes). Too many times a spec just lists three types of surface prep and 7 paint manufacturers, but neglects to give a specific paint type, and then the approver wants the most expensive surface prep as well as a special three coat epoxy polyamide coating.

The other pertains to scope of work. I quote " it is the intent of these drawings and specifications to provide a general guideline for the project. It is the responsibility of the fabricator to provide all steel required for the project, whether or not shown on the contract drawings"

Why don't they just call for exactly what they want?  Does this really save the owner money?

No wonder so many projects end up in litigation and arbitration.

Jim Land