Re: Surface Penetrating Radar (SPR)

Busted. I was thinking like structural engineer...you were thinking about making the final product look nicer after you left - good call.

At 01:50 PM 2/9/2005 -0700, you wrote:
Jordan,

You are right, sounding works best if the impact is in the center of the cell causing the face shell to vibrate as a plate. I typically drill in the bed joint as it is easy for a mason to repoint the mortar joint if the masonry is going to be exposed.

Regards,
Dave

BTW - is there a reason to drill at the grout joint (weakest area, possibility of ladder reinf. as mentioned) instead of dead-center in a cell? I would expect the minimum structural effect to be in the center, as well as being the most likely place to hear a hollow cell with sounding.