From: "Christopher Wright" <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 3:38 PM
Subject: Re: Engineers and specifications

On Feb 9, 2005, at 12:51 PM, JLand(--nospam--at)affiliatedmetal.com wrote:

> Why don't they just call for exactly what they want? Does this really
> save the owner money? No wonder so many projects end up in litigation
> and arbitration.
A lot of people don't know what they want, so they copy freely from
anything they can find, including advertizing copy. I learned about
specifications the hard way, helping clean up a mess caused by
specifying quenched and tempered steel as 'T-1' instead of ASTM A-517
GrF as we should have. Turns out we got a batch of material that was US
Steel's T-1, but it was the high hardness T-1 of the sort used for
earthmover blades. Strong but brittle--not at all suitable for pressure
vessels.

I make an effort to be a real pain in the åss when I see structural
material called out as carbon steel or read specifications that don't
specify anything.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/