From: GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Capillary Breaks
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:28:04 EST

An article on the web site for a vapor retarder manufacturer said something
about putting a capillary break above the vapor retarder - the capillary break
being something like a layer of free draining gravel.

This is not the same as the endless ACI 302/360 discussion of a fill
layer/base course above or below the vapor retarder, it is somehow implying (I think)
that sufficient moisture might come up through the vapor retarder that you
need a capillary break on top of it.

I don't see how that can be true - I can see putting a capillary break below the vapor retarder, to prevent heaving right below the vapor retarder, but it
doesn't seem to make sense the other way around.

I asked the guy who wrote the article why anyone who do this,  and got this
as a reply:

"It has been our experience and that of many of the contractors we work with
that both ways work."

Does anyone have experience with a situation where it makes senses to put a
capillary layer above the vapor barrier?

Gail Kelley