Re: Engineers and Specifications

Mark,
I seldom go on a job site where I see anybody looking at
the specs, but most of the workers or the supers have
copies of the drawings in their hands or spread out on
a table or the floor.  The drawings and accompanying
text convey the message--I have seen buildings built
with drawings and no specs, but not the other way around.
After all, Luigi or Hans may not speak English well but
they can follow the details. The specs are there to
inform others of the info that cannot be shown on
drawings i.e. a manufactured product or off-site process.
If it cannot be shown or specified on the drawings, I
put it in the specs and I put my specs on a drawing
sheet which is bound into the drawing set and I refer
to it on each drawing sheet. Of course, I am speaking
as a person of the structural persuasion, and cannot
vouch for those of lesser engineering disciplines:-)
Gary