RE: Foundation Drains

Jason –

I don’t agree when you say you need to “always show it on yours”.

While it’s true that I don’t design retaining walls to resist hydrostatic pressure, that doesn’t mean I’m willing to take on the responsibility for designing and detailing the drainage system. On the jobs I work on, that’s usually the responsibility of the civil engineer or architect. What I do though is put enough notes on my drawing (and even the details) indicating that drainage is required and is designed by others. I also have conversations with my client (usually the architect) when discussing scope and coordination issues. The reasons I do it this way include the fact that I haven’t been retained to do this work and drainage systems can vary in complexity from weep holes to perforated drain pipes in a bed of gravel fill connecting to an area drain system.

When you say “you should always…”, please be careful. Saying “What I always do…” is probably more accurate (if in fact it is).

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588