RE: Foundation Drains

> I don’t agree when you say you need to “always show it on yours”.

> While it’s true that I don’t design retaining walls to resist
> hydrostatic pressure, that doesn’t mean I’m willing to take on
> the responsibility for designing and detailing the drainage system.
> On the jobs I work on, that’s usually the responsibility of the
> civil engineer or architect. What I do though is put enough notes
> on my drawing (and even the details) indicating that drainage is
> required and is designed by others. I also have conversations with
> my client (usually the architect) when discussing scope and
> coordination issues. The reasons I do it this way include the fact
> that I haven’t been retained to do this work and drainage systems
> can vary in complexity from weep holes to perforated drain pipes
> in a bed of gravel fill connecting to an area drain system.

> When you say “you should always…”, please be careful. Saying
> “What I always do…” is probably more accurate (if in fact it is).

Good points, especially the “What I always do…” comment.  I would never
design or detail a site drainage system.  The pipe and notes I put in my
retaining wall sections are to simply alert the contractor that some
drainage system is required and give some information to the bidders.  If I
have the specific sheet numbers, I indicate "see civil sheet nnn for drain
detail".  Otherwise I simply say "see civil drawings..."

This way if the civil engr. forgets about wall drainage on his drawings I'm
semi-covered.  When the wall contractor calls about the specific details I
give him the civil's phone number.