Diaphragm design

Title: Diaphragm design

Good morning fellow engineers,

I will like to have your opinions on the following subject:

Building condition: We have an unfactored collector force of 500 kips to be developed in a 30’ long concrete shear wall. The slab is a concrete fill on composite metal deck. The corresponding Ω factor is 2.5. We are using rebars dowels to transfer the forces from the slab into the wall.

We have the following question regarding diaphragm design. Shall the Ω factor be applied to the 500 kips for design the dowels? We will like to hear from our fellow engineers your opinions on the application of the Ω factor.

Thank You in advance

Cairo O. Briceño, SE, PE, ASCE and SEAOC
Structural Engineer
HDR ONE COMPANY | Many Solutions