Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:21 AM
Subject: Pavers on Bridge Deck

I have a bridge widening project where the client wants to have cobblestone pavers on the entire deck slab.  The bridge is 3 short spans, access to residential development.

Question:  What kind of detail is typically used for the pavers at the bridge expansion joints?  I would think that some kind of concrete curb or band is needed to keep the pavers tight, but since the pavers are only 2.375" high + bedding material, I'm concerned that the concrete curb height would be so short that it would want to crack, especially where the new curb is constructed on top of the existing bridge deck.

Comments or suggestions?

M. David Finley, P.E.