From: Acie Chance [mailto:achance(--nospam--at)lacsd.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 1:33 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: 3000 psi concrete and special inspection

Ed,

I have always considered the stemwall to be part of the foundation. This

has never been a problem for residential construction. I design the entire

foundation for 2500 psi and do not specify special inspection for the

concrete on the drawings. I do not do many residential jobs but on those I

have done the city plan checkers and inspectors have not questioned it. On

larger jobs I use 3000 psi concrete with special inspection for everything.

Acie Chance

Steve,
Are you speaking of the exception 2 of section 1701.5? If so this refers to the need to take test specimens not whether or not the minimum compressive strength is limited to 2,500 or 3,000 psi. I agree there is an implication here, but you should take the lead from section 1921 and section 1922 that refers more to specifically to lateral resisting structural concrete or plan structural concrete. Interestingly, I would probably take the lead on this from the Prescriptive codes in Section 2320. My thinking here is that if section 1921 governed all concrete except footings, then no home could be constructed prescriptively in section 2320 as the idea that the foundation required special inspection and observation takes it out of the realm of Conventional Construction. How's this for a reach?

--

*Dennis S. Wish, PE*
*California Professional Engineer

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net*
*
760.564.0884 (office - fax)
*

   */This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named
   addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and
   proprietary. If this information is received by anyone other than
   the named addressee(s), the recipient(s) should immediately notify
   the sender by e-mail and promptly delete the transmitted material
   from your computer and server. In no event shall this material be
   read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than the named
   addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
   the named addressee(s)./*