Re: 3000 psi concrete and special inspection

Scott Maxwell wrote:

Steve,

But would you really consider walkways and patios part of the "structure"?

Section 1921.2.1.1 states:

"Section 1921 contains special requirements for design and construction of
reinforced concrete members of a STRUCTURE for which the design..." (note
I added the emphasis)

I am no sure that I would consider a walkway or patio as part of the
structure.  Beyond that, I doubt there would be very many situations where
a patio slab or walkway slab would be "resisting earthquake-induced
forces" (i.e. part of the seismic lateral system).

So, I don't think that walkways or patio slabs would require 3000 psi
concrete (unless maybe they also act as a roof slab to a lower lever and
thus maybe also as a diaphram).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

Scott, Steve and Ed (and others):
Is there any doubt now that there is ambiguity in the code that relates to leaving the interpretation where it does not belong - in the courts?

This is my major issue with current codes - they are not written to be clear and concise but rather to be strongly interpretive so that it becomes a P*ssing contest as to which experts are more believable but not necessarily accurate.

Regards
Dennis

--

*Dennis S. Wish, PE*
*California Professional Engineer

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net*
*
760.564.0884 (office - fax)
*

   */This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named
   addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and
   proprietary. If this information is received by anyone other than
   the named addressee(s), the recipient(s) should immediately notify
   the sender by e-mail and promptly delete the transmitted material
   from your computer and server. In no event shall this material be
   read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than the named
   addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
   the named addressee(s)./*