RE: 3000 psi concrete and special inspection

Title: RE: 3000 psi concrete and special inspection

Dennis and Scott,

This was exactly my point. I brought the walkway issue just trying to push the argument beyond the rational limit to emphasize that point.  For example - it can be formally argued that house slabs with integrated footings are not regulated by 1922.1.1.2, and so, bla-bla... As bad as it sounds, I had experience with plancheckers who would make this kind of an argument.

Here, we are essentially talking the difference between the continuous and spot inspections.  In my experience, the latter (pre-pour inspection) is forced by most building departments in CA anyway even for the lightest residential footings and even for 2,500 concrete, and is included in the permit fees.  The former would be required only for f'c=>3,000 PSI concrete, with inspector present prior during sampling and pouring for an additional fee. At smaller jobs, it makes a lot of difference.

The way I read the code - if 2,500 PSI works for any spread or continuous footing and is fine with the building department - it's OK to use it.

On heavily loaded or complex footings, though, I specify 3,000 PSI just to force the special inspection and to have an extra pair of eyes on site.

Steve

Steve,

I disagree as I think you missed the section on structural plain

concrete. Please refer to section 1922 and again specifically 1922.2.4.1

which states similar reference as section 1921 but deals with

foundations and slab on grades.

FWIW, I know of no city that requires the use of 3,000 psi in Southern

California for a slab on grade or a residential (up to three stories)

continuous foundation or pad footings. The only time this becomes an

issue is when there is a moment frame, embedded column or other lateral

load resisting element on an isolated foundation such as a grade beam.

Reread this section to see the difference - it could never be applicable

to flatwork or most of us are really in trouble.

Dennis

--

*Dennis S. Wish, PE*

*California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net*

*

760.564.0884 (office - fax)

*

    */This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named

    addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and

    proprietary. If this information is received by anyone other than

    the named addressee(s), the recipient(s) should immediately notify

    the sender by e-mail and promptly delete the transmitted material

    from your computer and server. In no event shall this material be

    read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than the named

    addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or

    the named addressee(s)./*

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp

*   site at: http://www.seaint.org