Timber piles and caps

Good Morning campers-

I’m working on an existing forest pedestrian bridge of unknown age.  The entire superstructure will be replaced, but I’d like to find out what type of wood the substructure was constructed of.  Does anyone know if testing labs can determine this and if so any leads on which ones?  My office is in the Baltimore/DC area but my project is in South Carolina.

Thanks for any assistance.

Candi Anderson, P.E.