Re: 3000 psi concrete and special inspection

Dennis,

Here is where I pull out a tired old phrase of "be careful what you ask
for".  You have in the past (including one of the messages on this thread)
talked about how you liked the fact that the UBC reprinted (typically with
modifications) the ACI 318 provisions directly in the UBC code and in the
same breath complained about how the IBC no longer does this, which
requires engineers to buy both the IBC _AND_ ACI 318.  The consequence of
this is that the 1997 UBC (and presumably ealier editions) neglected to
include Chapter 1 of the ACI 318 when they reprinted ACI 318-95.  If they
had, then the provision of ACI 318 that directly excludes its application
to slabs on grade (in the building or not) would have been part of the
1997 UBC.  As a result of it not being included, it is not clear at all if
Division II of Chapter 19 of the 1997 UBC applies to slabs on grade or
not.

I will point out that it is VERY CLEAR in the case of the IBC.  You are
NOT required to use ACI 318 for slabs on grade when using the IBC (you
still can, but the code does not require it).

So, in the process of getting everything included on one book (not quite
as you still need the AISC specs and the NDS, I believe), the 1997 UBC
lost some of the intent of ACI 318.  So, be careful what you wish for...

Scott
Adrian, MI