Re: Engineers and Lawyers

Acie Chance wrote:

    I find it very sad that we have engineers trying to decide if a slab on
grade is a structural member or not and what section of the code they should
use to design it.  We have been turned into jail house lawyers instead of
engineers.  I was under the impression engineers used there experience and
education to make decisions on how to build structures.  Looking for
clarification between "footing" and "foundation" for a element designed with
2500 or 3000 psi concrete is very sad to me.

Acie Chance

OK attack

Acie,
No attack - I also agree with you. Please read my last comment under the 3,000 psi subject. When a code committee fails to clearly define the intent of the code so that a practitioner can perform his or her work is clearly ambiguity and indicates the greater fear of legal retrobution rather than focusing on proper design. I agree - this is sad. In my mind it is clear because the corrections that I have received from the cities (and those I've issued while doing contract plan check) rarely define that fine line where UBC 1921 takes over and UBC 1922 is adequate.

--

*Dennis S. Wish, PE*
*California Professional Engineer

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net*
*
760.564.0884 (office - fax)
*

   */This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named
   addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and
   proprietary. If this information is received by anyone other than
   the named addressee(s), the recipient(s) should immediately notify
   the sender by e-mail and promptly delete the transmitted material
   from your computer and server. In no event shall this material be
   read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than the named
   addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
   the named addressee(s)./*