RE: Engineers and Lawyers

In a message dated 2/17/2005 1:00:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Acie Chance" <achance(--nospam--at)lacsd.org> writes:
.....The loading which requires us to use the 3000 psi
concrete is seismic.  Can anyone tell me they can predict the actual seismic
force with in the accuracy of the difference between the two concrete
strengths? .....

If anyone can tell you, you'd better ask them what they are smoking! There are precise code values stated but reality is not so precise. Good load paths, good ductile detailing and constructability are far more important factors.  But compressive strength is an easy metric to specify.  :<(

Regards,
Bill Cain, SE
Berkeley CA