Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA
(Originally from Doylestown PA)

In a message dated 2/18/05 10:01:17 AM, elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com writes:

Jim - Don't forget that the 2x10 is already 1/4" shorter than the 9-1/2"
TJI!  Any shrinkage would just make this worse.  I-joist squash blocks sound
like the way to go to me.

Eli Grassley
PSM Engineers

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:00 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Doubling a wood I-joist

I've reviewed a house with failing (web buckling) 9
1/2" wood floor I-joists due to excessive moisture
content and incomplete connection details.  The
builder already started doubling the existing joists
with 2x10's before the inspector stopped the work and
called me in.

Is potential shrinkage of the 2x10 wood enough of a
concern that they should not be used to double up the
existing I-joists?