Built-up steel column

I am trying to design a temporary support for a corner of a building where the support has been compromised by flood waters.  Due to existing steel sizes and locations I am trying to use a built up column section comprised of two channels.  The channels will be separated by 6”.  I am considering a piece of 6” tube steel to provide the connection between the two channels to provide a built up section.  The 6” will allow the channel sections to straddle an existing 6” TS column section.  I have run all the calculations for a modified slenderness ratio as provided for in AISC LRFD section E4.  I’m having trouble finding criteria for the connection between the channels themselves to check shear for the built up section.  Any texts I have or the manual itself don’t seem to check this aspect.  Can anyone help me out?

J. Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying