Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
RE: Built-up steel column[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: RE: Built-up steel column
- From: "Michael Bryson" <mbryson(--nospam--at)NYASE.com>
- Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:48:39 -0800
Galambos’ “Guide to Stability Design Criteria For Metal Structures” covers built-up columns.
I am trying to design a temporary support for a corner of a building where the support has been compromised by flood waters. Due to existing steel sizes and locations I am trying to use a built up column section comprised of two channels. The channels will be separated by 6”. I am considering a piece of 6” tube steel to provide the connection between the two channels to provide a built up section. The 6” will allow the channel sections to straddle an existing 6” TS column section. I have run all the calculations for a modified slenderness ratio as provided for in AISC LRFD section E4. I’m having trouble finding criteria for the connection between the channels themselves to check shear for the built up section. Any texts I have or the manual itself don’t seem to check this aspect. Can anyone help me out?
Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)
Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.
Civil Engineering and Surveying
1146 W. Hwy 89A Suite B
Sedona, AZ 86340
PHONE (928) 282-1061
FAX (928) 282-2058
- Prev by Subject: Built-up steel column
- Next by Subject: RE: Built-up Steel Column
- Previous by thread: Built-up steel column
- Next by thread: RE: Built-up Steel Column