Wind Exposure D

ASCE 7-02  6.5.6.3 says “Exposure D shall extend inland from the shoreline for a distance of 660 ft…”

IBC 2003 1609.4 says “Exposure D extends inland from the shoreline a distance of 1500 ft…”

1.  There are other nuances, but why the big difference?  I checked the errata.  I think the IBC oops’d and carried over from the UBC

2.  If the IBC references out ASCE 7 for wind load determination anyway (except simplified), why did they bother to repeat (and change) the exposures for everything?

As you may guess, I have a building between 660 ft and 1500 ft from the shoreline.

But it’s moot, because the surface roughness per ASCE is Surface Roughness B – there are houses and trees between the site and the beach.  So Exposure D doesn’t govern anyway.  Right?

Ed Tornberg

Tornberg Consulting, LLC

503-551-4165