From: Dennis S. Wish, PE [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:14 AM
To: SEAINT Listservice
Subject: OT: Digital Camera

I just purchased a new Digital Camera (for about two hundred less than I
paid six years ago for my 640x480 Sony Mavica 3-1/2" floppy disk camera)
and found a website that was just great in helping me narrow down my
search. The website is located at: http://www.dpreview.com/ .

I wanted a camera that was more of an enthusiast's camera, but could not
spend the $1000.00 plus for a digital SLR. I also wanted a camera that
allowed me to use an SD card (secure digital) so that I could unplug it
from the camera and slip it into my Dell Axim (for your information -
Best Buy currently has a 512-Mb SD-card with free delivery and a $10.00
mail in rebate until 2/26 for a net price of around $47.00) for viewing
and later printing. My HP photoJet printer also accepts direct printing
from a number of cards so I can bypass my office computer if need be.

I ended up choosing the Casio Exilim Pro P-700 a 7.1 Megapixel small
body camera and purchased it online from BuyDig.Com for around $457.00.
The camera is excellent and the review on the webpage I mentioned above
consisted of a professional review of about 20 pages in length that went
into great detail and is constantly updated. There were one or two other
camera's in the 7.1 Megapixel range that rated slightly higher (this one
got a Recommended / Highly Recommended rating) and doing side by side
comparisons I finally made the decision.

I am using the camera 95% of the time for work and have noticed that
because of the high resolution I am able to see details that were not
possible in my old Sony.

While my purpose is not to to suggest this camera, I found the website
extremely helpful where C/Net, PC Magazine and Computer Shopper were
somewhat conflicting in their reviews. C/Net found me the best price (no
shipping or tax to California from New Jersey) and I did pay an extra
$14.00 for second day Fed Ex shipping. I ordered in on Thursday and it
arrived yesterday and I am using it in about an hour to take pictures of
a remodel where I need to record the as-built condition of the two story
residence I have been hired to work on.

If you happen to own a Casio Exilim, please write me privately. I do
have a few questions if you tend to play with manual settings and do
some hobby shooting.

BTW, C/Net (http://www.cnet.com) rates their online merchants and must
maintain a good rating for at least one or two months without complaints
in order to be recommended. BuyDig shipped what I ordered at the price
quoted. They worried me somewhat as they did not provide me with an
invoice at the time of shipment to confirm what was charged to my credit
card (I asked twice). This may be due to a problem they had with their
web page that required me to call them by phone to place the order. They
did send a tracking number confirming when it was shipped (next day) but
I did worry that I might have been sent the P600 (a 6 megapixel camera)
rather than the latest P700. Everything turned out fine and I can
recommend www.buydig.com for electronic purcases.

*Dennis S. Wish, PE*
*California Professional Engineer
Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net*
*
760.564.0884 (office - fax)
*

    */This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named
    addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and
    proprietary. If this information is received by anyone other than
    the named addressee(s), the recipient(s) should immediately notify
    the sender by e-mail and promptly delete the transmitted material
    from your computer and server. In no event shall this material be
    read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than the named
    addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
    the named addressee(s)./*