Re: Looking for Structural failure pictures

I agree with many of your comments, Bill, but we should remember that there's two sides to every story.  Just as there are ambulance-chasing attorneys, there are corporations that hide known product defects, figuring that it's cheaper to pay for a few dead customers than to fix the problem.  If a member of my family died because a relatively new tire blew out due to a manufacturing defect I would have little chance as an individual to get justice.  As a member of a class of similarly aggrieved individuals I would probably have better luck.  Think of it as forcing (some) corporations to raise their standards, thus improving society as a whole.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.

In a message dated 2/22/05 10:37:00 AM, bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc writes:

Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Yes, AEPIC was formed for just that purpose, and published a few
> papers, as I recall, but then sort of faded away for just the reason
> we're discussing--legal concerns and limited information.  I believe
> it was more like 30 years ago.  Maybe everybody has to be dead before
> a failure can be discussed.
>
> I wonder how the medical profession handles this situation.  Surely
> they don't keep major failings secret for fear of lawsuits, do they?
> And the automobile industry is forced to publicize their failings.

I know nothing about this, but I can assure you my first thought was
"criminy, can you imagine what a lawyer like my favorite Texas shyster
would do if they had some legal assistant--I think they have people
doing this on a continuing basis--turn this up in a web search? They'd
round up a 'class' ASAP and just start 'fire-and-forget' lawsuits in
continuous mode until they hit some substantial target."

We live in the age of do-nothing Sharks called "trial lawyers"
continually circling around those who have the audacity to actually
PRODUCE SOMETHING for a living. We have to be always conscious of that.

And remember: The last thing the Sharks want us for us to come up with
better ships and better lifeboats. How would they eat?